Karin Bareman (b. 1982, Hulst, The Netherlands) studied Anthropology at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam from 2000 to 2005 and Visual Anthropology at the University of Manchester from 2005 to 2006. In her studies she focused on the relationship between audiovisual culture and memories, popular culture, globalization, tourism and pilgrimage, especially in relation to the former USSR.
Since 2006 she has honed her photographic and film skills and knowledge through Redeye and the Cornerhouse in Manchester. Since summer 2009 she works for Foam, the photography museum in Amsterdam, currently as assistant curator. In that role she has co-produced amongst others the following exhibitions:
- Hans van den Boogaard - Collection Vrolik (07.05.2010-20.06.2010)
- Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin - Pretty Much Everything 1985-2010 (25.06.2010-15.09.2010)
- Karl Blossfeldt (25.06.2010-22.08.2010)
- Johan van der Keuken - Quattorze Juillet (24.09.2010- 08.12.2010)
- Jim Goldberg - Open Sea (24.09.2010-21.11.2010)
- Foam Paul Huf Award - Alexander Gronsky (27.08.2010-10.10.2010)
- Ahmet Polat - Kemal's Dream (15.10.2010-08.12.2010)
- W. Eugene Smith - More Real than Reality' (17.12.2010-16.03.2011)
- Joan Fontcuberta - Landscapes without Memory (26.11.2010-27.02.2011)
- Antiphotojournalism' (01.04.2011-08.06.2011)
- Dana Lixenberg - Set Amsterdam (25.03.2011-29.05.2011)
- Anton Corbijn - inwards and onwards (24.06.2011-01.09.2011)
- Misha de Ridder - Solstice (17.06.2011-28.08.2011)
- Capricious Presents: Continuity of Chaos (10.06.2011-04.09.2011)
- Still//Life - Contemporary Dutch Photography (09.09.2011-26.10.2011)
- Foam Paul Huf Award - Raphael Dallaporta - Observation (02.09.2011-26.10.2011)
- What's Next? The Future of the Photography Museum (05.11.2011-07.12.2011)
- Joel Sternfeld - Color Photographs since 1970 (16.12.2011-14.03.2012)
- Stanley Greene - Black Passport (16.12.2011-05.02.2012)
Her films have been shown at the Imperial War Museum North (Manchester 2006), 'Life in Motion Festival' (Manchester, 2006), 'Docs for Sale/Idfa' (Amsterdam, 2006), '12a Mostra Internacional do Filme Etnografico' (Rio de Janeiro 2007), 'Dialektus Festival' (Budapest, 2008), the 'Astra Film Cinemateque Program' (Sibiu, 2010).
Karin's photographs have been included in the group exhibition 'Capture Manchester' at the Cube Gallery (Manchester 2009), resulting in the synonymous publication. Her pictures have also been included in the book 'Foam Album 09', 'Foam Album 10', 'Foam Album 11', PhotoQ Yearbook 2011. Her works have also been included in the group exhibition at The Gallery (Hulst, 2010) and the group show at The Amsterdam Centre for Photography (Amsterdam, 2011).
Her images have also been published in Red Magazine, Foam Magazine, NRC Next, Nederlands Dagblad and Nieuw West Express, and on foam.org, PhotoQ, deprael.nl and psy.nl
Karin was a guest speaker at the National Photography Symposium in Liverpool in 2011, providing an insight into Dutch photography institutions
Her work is inspired by practitioners as diverse as Nan Goldin, Larry Clark, Jacob Holdt, Chris Marker, Monika Bielskyte, Leonie Purchas, John Davies, Steven Shore, Sally Mann, Susan Meiselas, Stefan Vanfleteren, Robert Frank and Walker Evans.
In her work she uses the camera as a tool to investigate and record her encounters with different kinds of people and places. She respectfully and delicately captures her subjects, photographing them in order to prevent small but interesting stories to become lost.